Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Construction: Lightning F2A major assembly

Though you might not know it from the blog entries, my workbench isn’t all desolation and blowing tumbleweeds.

I do have a number of projects stalled in the painting stage, but that is one of the first casualties of any mojo drought. So I decided to concentrate on some miscellaneous construction.

Not long before vacation, I had put together the cockpit of an Airfix Lightning F2A. This is a wonderful kit, and I wish I had had some when I was on a true Lightning kick back in the late 90s. Those are mostly early Airfix F1s and F3s (since they have the better markings options) and suffer badly in comparison with these new kits. There are at least a few gaudy paint schemes on the F2As and F6s, and I will take full advantage of them.

There is not much to say about the building except you need to pay an average amount of attention. The wings needed a touch of filler (not much) and you might have to do a bit of fiddling to the cockpit assembly to make sure it doesn’t cause the fuselage to splay open. Some minor seam work and it should be ready for the first round of paint.




No comments:

Post a Comment