Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Revell Blohm & Voss Bv-222

One of the things I need to do to get the blog up to date is catch up with some completed models. I seem to have sort of dropped the ball around the end of April for some reason, so I will be spending some time in the near term getting that squared away.

First up is the Revell Blohm & Voss Bv-222 flying boat. This rather large aircraft was apparently first designed as a Lufthansa mail carrier in 1938, but was quickly snapped up by the prewar Luftwaffe as a large transport. I think at one time the thought at Revell was that they could release the commercial version, which would explain some of the curious engineering (such as the gun turrets all being set in special panels that could be swapped out in a later release) but the sales were presumably not robust enough to justify additional tooling. Somehow I ended up with two copies of this kit, and I am still considering how to do a Lufthansa airliner out of it, even if it would have to qualify as a what-if model.

Though the build took a long time (something like 5 years, though a good portion of that was time on the Shelf of Shame) that was more due to a tapering off of enthusiasm rather than any fault with the kit. The interior has a high level of detail, though not much can be seen once major assembly is complete. The subassemblies are large, which has its own set of challenges, but little an experienced builder will fret over. I did have problems with the canopy, especially the side windows, but can chalk that up to sausage fingers and minimal patience.

As usual, the model was painted in Xtracolour enamels. Though this provides a glossy surface, Revell decals are notorious to me at least for their occasional love of silvering. A couple of instances on this kit, but I did what I could with SuperSol and pressure. Markings are for SAGr 130, based in Norway in 1945.

I was delighted when Revell announced they were doing a Bv-222, and although it took a long time to reach the finish line, I’m happy enough with the finished product. There were still issues in finalizing things: the cockpit and turret masking just did not want to lift, I broke off two prop blades taking it to be photographed, and photos were taken before I filled in some of the fuselage windows with Kristal Kleer. Plus the photos are a little crappy. Blame that on the ditzy official photographer of 72 Land. Not one of my favorites - or best - but I am glad to be done with it. 

This is completed aircraft #463 (#30 for the year), finished in April of 2016.




2 comments:

  1. well done! ...now what do you do with it ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now it is sitting on top of one of the display cases, next to a whif B-36. Alas, that means it is susceptible to dust at the moment. My plan is to buy a fourth official display case early in 2017. I'll also be tightening up shelving in the three existing ones which should increase display space. Things have stalled a bit in clearing out the basement/lower floor for all these changes, but all will be revealed eventually!

      Delete