Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Painting (cockpits, Fi-156, Ju-87G)


We are fully imbedded in the time of year where the weather (and outside activities) start to have an impact on modelling. Personally, I have a hard time when the temps get over 85 here in the Great Northwest. Airbrushing in the garage is pretty miserable, and even tinkering at the workbench upstairs becomes an exercise in advanced sweat management. My primal urge is to get to the room with the window-mounted air conditioner and just wait it out while napping and reading.

Still, this isn’t Texas after all, and we don’t have 30 straight days of extreme temps. In fact, the forecast leadup to Independence Day seems pretty nice this year, with mid-70s and a surprising amount of sunshine. So I was able to start up an airbrush session and clear out a few projects that were holding up the queue.

First on the agenda was a clear top coat on two (almost) finished models, an Italian AF special Eurofighter scheme and an RAF-captured Me-163B.

Next came a series of cockpits, all in dark grey. I used Dark Admiralty Grey from Xtracolour, mainly because a couple of the subjects were British, but really any darkish grey would probably do when the canopy is down and you can't see that much inside. This should allow me to make some further progress on getting these four kits back on track.

There was also the RLM65 undercoat of a Ju-87G. I’ve become re-interested in some early war aircraft (I’ve already done a Ju-87B) which caused me to revive this kit from the Shelf of Shame. Along with it the relatively new Airfix Do-17 and Defiant will be joining the build queue as soon as I can get some items finished and free up workbench space.

Last was the upper tail of a Fi-156, which was painted Red. I am using the Trumpf decals that were included in the 4+ book on the Storch. I suspect you won’t see that one very often on the model contest tables, always an attraction for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment