Another model crosses the finish line today to close out the month of April. I’ll admit that this isn’t one of my better efforts, and it’s not the kit’s fault.
While the kit is pretty old and not really up to modern standards, it at least comes with engraved panel lines. But it doesn’t have much in the way of an interior, which led me to install a True Details resin one. However, since I don’t typically leave the canopies open (and the Hasegawa one was one piece in any case) you can’t see a thing from the outside. I guess that is one reason why I don’t typically add resin interiors; this was an old set lying around from the 90s and I figured I should use it since I had it.
The problems don’t end with the interior. This was one of the models that I was painting when I discovered my issues with certain production runs of Alclad paints. I had intended to paint it Dull Aluminum, a reasonable shade for a NMF, but the paint wouldn’t cover. I had to quickly figure out an alternative, and used some of my dwindling supply of White Aluminum, even though I don’t think it is the best shade for this use. Some of my masking was a little porous, causing tiny overruns, and I totally spaced on the painting of the cloth control surfaces in the interior green-grey color. By this point I just wanted to finish the thing up and move on to the next job.
This was my first experience with using Gunze Paints (their lacquer-based line). My usual paint of choice is Xtracolour, but they don’t do anything that adequately represents the Japanese brown prop color. But Gunze does. Unlike my other paint experiences on this one, it turned out fine.
I used the Aviprint decal sheet (72003: B-29 hunters) since I could also take a Ki-45 from it when the time comes. But I also used the anti-glare panel decal from the kit, which turned out to be a mistake. It broke up and required some touching up with paint. All in all, a subpar effort. But it is done now and can be added to the IJAAF/IJN section of the display cases. The back section.
This is completed model #352, finished in April of 2011.
And while we’re at it, here’s a look at tonight’s paint shop action. Lots of white paint for wheel wells and such. And there is the Airfix Bf-110, on its wheels and waiting for some detail painting and decals. I’m a little concerned at how matte the kit decals are, so I’m not sure what I’m going to do. The AZ Gauntlet is there as well, patiently waiting for me to get my act together and finish the rigging.