Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Meng Convair F-102


Every so often – at least once a decade for me – I complete a kit that seems to be angel-kissed from the beginning. No great disasters, the fit is good, painting works without trauma, decals behave, and I don’t drop the thing coming back from the paint room into a pile of sawdust or something. When it happens, it is enough of an unusual event that I feel compelled to celebrate it.

And that is exactly what happened with the Meng F-102. I have nothing to complain about on this kit. There is not a smear of filler on the whole thing. Having built a couple of elderly Hasegawa F-102/F-106 kits, this was a true revelation. I can recommend it without reservation.

The decals came from FunDekals, which is I believe Jennings Heilig’s project. The instructions are only available online, so the only thing you physically receive is the decals themselves. That was no obstacle, as the markings themselves are excellent. It does take a minor amount of thought to insure that all those green stars end up in the correct places, but luckily I was up to it. The aircraft itself is from the 48th FIS (hey! I thought this was a 1:72 only site!) based at Langley AFB in Virginia, circa 1959.

This is completed aircraft #490 (7 aircraft, 0 ordnance, 2 vehicles for the year 2018), finished in May of 2018.





No comments:

Post a Comment