A last update before I resume regularly scheduled service. The new desktop is all installed and running, though this device seems to have a lot of trouble holding on to the wireless internet connection. Infotech has completed my data extraction from the previous laptop, and I am picking that up this morning. I've got some work do to reintegrate the documents and photos (mostly budget stuff not related to modelling) but I hope to be officially back up and running by August 1. So here are some items that will be coming soon:
A review of the Attack Hobby RQ-7 drone. Completed kits, including an RAF B-17 and an anniversary Eurofighter. Plans for the next round of beginnings once the current crop jamming my workbench moves on to the display cases. And maybe, if it stops being quite so fiercely hot around here, I can get some paint time in the garage.
Tuesday, July 26, 2016
My new desktop has arrived, and I am at least able to access the net. However, my last full data backup was in June, so even when my subscription to MS Office is active (the key code won't get here til tomorrow) I won't be able to access newer docs. So it will still be a few days before full service is restored here in the central municipality of 72 Land.
Hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far.
Hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far.
Saturday, July 23, 2016
Thursday, July 21, 2016
A few weeks back, I received a small box from Hannants. It was mostly taken up with a half dozen or so decal sheets, some for projects that are already in motion or soon will be. A couple are for things a bit further in the queue. What follows is a summary of my plans, along with product links for Hannants.
I built this order around the issuance of the latest in Xtradecal's series of sheets for RAF special schemes, X72-233. I do enjoy building commemorative markings, and this sheet is filled with them. My primary interest is around the Eurofighter from 41 Squadron and the Hawk from 208 Squadron. But once I got a look at the sheet artwork, I'm definitely going to have to find a spot for that 27 Squadron Chinook. At least one of the Tornado GR4s (desert war anniversary maybe?) are likely to go on the list too. Link
I also wanted to pick up the Xtradecal X72-200 sheet for the Lightning T5. I acquired a Sword T5, and even though I've had some issues with their kits in the past, this is the only real option for a trainer at present. My intention is to do the Akrotiri Lightning with the pink tail and squadron markings, as well as the flamingo. But for the life of me, the squadron bands as printed appear to be white, when they are clearly pink in photographs and even on Xtradecal's printed instructions. Not sure if this is an error or just a difference in interpretation. There are other T5 options on the sheet, but I really would like to do the flamingo. Link
I've picked up Kopro kits of the L-4 Grasshopper, so DKD72028 will come in handy for that. There are some instances of (small) nose art, and even an overall Gloss Sea Blue option. Link
I have had a copy of the Sword S-43 since time immemorial, but never pulled the trigger because I kept waiting for someone to do airliner markings for it. These many years later, the only sheet that I have found is Lima November LN72-259 for an example of DNL (Det Norske Luftartselskap). One nice thing is that the sheet comes with masks for those circular windows. Link
The final decal sheet in this order is an oddball: the Antonov An-2 owned by Milka. Now, Milka is not sold in the US as far as I know, so I'm not 100% which purple I will use. But it will certainly be a standout on the shelves. Someone is producing Milka markings for a Ju-52 as well, and I have a surplus of the Italeri kits, so I had better buy enough paint to cover both examples. Link
Tomorrow I'll give a brief recap of the only model that was in this Hannants order.
Thursday, July 7, 2016
Despite a passing cold, producing more snot than any human should have to deal with, I was able to get an hour or so worth of painting accomplished.
I was able to get the Dark Green color coat put down on the RAF B-17. It looked decently smooth, so unless it cures a bit bumpy I can probably proceed with stripping off that immense masking job and move on to get the details (like wheels and props) attached.
I also put a layer of RLM74 on the captured Hurricane ragwing. The paint seemed to go on pretty thin; I may have to reinforce it with a second coat. I'll decide after everything dries thoroughly.
Finally, some Alclad work was called for. Aluminum for the upper exhaust on the two Eurofighters in process at present, and then Jet Exhaust for their lower exhaust and the engine nozzles on the space shuttle.
Saturday, July 2, 2016
Painting preparation was the name of the game in the modelling dungeon this week. The primary effort was to get the RAF B-17 in proper shape for its coat of Dark Green. This is why it seems that I am constantly ordering Tamiya kabuki tape.
In addition, I have a few projects that require an Alclad Aluminum spray. Most important is the forward engine area on the Eurofighter (masquerading as a bundle of paper towels in the photo below). I will likely spray Jet Exhaust on the space shuttle engine cones as well.
Finally, I have done the upper surface masking for the German captured Hurricane. The wings will get a coat of RLM74 follwed by RLM75.
I am still working on the cargo doors of the space shuttle and cleaning up the seams on the future Arctic Rose DC-3. Plus there is still masking to be done for the silver leading edges of the Beech Starship.
Among all of this I am still working on cleaning out the garage for the eventual massive swap of storage (which moves from the interior lower storage to the garage) for display cases (which will move from the garage to the lower floor). That is a huge project in and of itself.