Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Academy Fieseler Fi-156 Storch


I have completed the Academy Fi-156 Storch in the past: a desert version and an RAF captured version. While a bit fiddly, mostly due to the spindly nature of the struttery that comprises the wing supports and landing gear bits, it is a nicely made little kit that doesn’t require any filler and looks correct once built.

Sometime in the past I acquired the Four+ book on the Storch. Along with a nice little rundown of 12 markings schemes, it includes a decal sheet. Most of the markings are fairly workmanlike, though the grey one with the red tailband may find its way to my workbench at some point. On that sheet is a civil Storch, apparently owned by the Trumpf Chocolate Company, a 150 year old outfit known for their gourmet chocolate concoctions. This Fi-156 was originally a Czech aicraft, and was used for publicity flights in the 1950-55 period. It was eventually reconfigured as an ambulance variant and displayed in a museum.

I must admit I mischievously considered slicing off the final "f", in only to give the liberals in the audience a temporary case of the vapors. However, I came to my senses fairly quickly. 

As mentioned, the kit is without construction drama, and the decals performed as expected. They are extremely thin, so you must be cautious when moving them from sheet to model. I did use a couple of Hiene prop markings from Kora 72091.

This is completed aircraft #493 (10 aircraft, 0 ordnance, 3 vehicles for the year 2018), finished in August of 2018.





No comments:

Post a Comment