Many moons ago I started a subproject on the Century Series of USAF postwar aircraft. It was initiated when Anigrand started producing the experimental types, which probably tells you how long ago this project began. I’ve already completed an ESCI F-100, Hasegawa F-104, Hasegawa F-111, as well as Hasegawa versions of the F-102 and F-106. Those I will be replacing with the much nicer Meng Delta Dart and Dagger. So today’s completion, a Revell F-101B, fits into this series. I would have preferred a single seater, but the Revell kit was in the stash and when I started it, the single seater from Valom was not available.
Luckily the Revell version is a pretty decent kit. Since I didn’t particularly want to have dropped flaps, assembling the wing was a bit of a trial. I’m still not 100% satisfied with how that all turned out. I happened to have a couple of resin ejection seats, so I swapped them out for their plastic counterparts.
Painting was fairly standard as well. I used a tin of Xtracolour ADC Grey for the overall paint. I experimented a bit with the exhaust. First, I gave them a coat of Alclad White Aluminum and then did some exhaust marking with Alclad Burnt Metal. I thought it turned out nicely.
Markings came from a Caracal sheet (72011). The choice was between three ANG units. I probably should have been a homer and done the Washington state ANG version (especially since we have one as a gate guardian at the local McChord AFB), but the markings for the Maine ANG were more interesting. No problems with the decals.
I also used a Master nose probe. I have really come to like these Master bits. Except for the Me-163 pitot that proved too close to scale to allow my sausage fingers to handle it without bending it, they have all been an excellent addition to the model. Buy with confidence.
Except for some minor problems with paint seeping under the masking, I was pretty satisfied with this one.
This is completed aircraft #483 (17 aircraft, 3 ordnance, 14 vehicles for the year 2017), finished in December of 2017.