Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Olympia Airshow 2011

Remember that I did say that summer wasn't a very productive time, modelling-wise. I don't think I've even been in the model room more than a couple of times in the last two weeks. I will be posting what I was up to later, but first: airshow!

We don't have many airshows in the northwest any more. The usually very nice Museum of Flight and Paine Field shows collapsed in the early 90s, Abbotsford now requires a passport, and SeaFair really only has the Blue Angels. So the Olympia show, at the capitol's regional airport, has a sort of "last man standing" appeal if you like seeing airplanes in their natural habitat. Unfortunately, being in June, it is at the mercy of the unpredictable Seattle weather. I've been there when it was over 90 and I've been there when it was under 60. This year the temp was nice, but we had a lot of overcast and showers all day Saturday. Sunday, when I went, was drier but still mostly overcast. Of course there were some sunbreaks just as I was pulling out of the parking lot.

The promised B-17 was a no-show (but at least they posted that publicly outside the venue), and there wasn't much of a warbird presence (P-51, B-25, a flock of T-6s), but it was still pleasant to watch the festivities. This show still features the world's only flying HH-43 Huskie, there was a solo A-10 to bound all over the skies, and of course the Mustang. The rest was mostly aerobatics, which I'm not terribly interested in.




For those who are interested, I have a Photobucket album with the pictures I took there at http://s958.photobucket.com/albums/ae67/a172ndguy/Olympia%20Airshow%202011/
I had to shoot with a longer lens (70-300mm) since my short zoom (18-55mm) picked the start of the airshow to croak on me. Not sure what the issue is yet, but hopefully I can resolve it before I need to shoot more finished model shots.

I will hopefully find some time to do some painting this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment