Total Pageviews

Friday, May 20, 2016

Airfix Hawker Hurricane ragwing

I'm going to try and work my way through the backlog of completed projects since I haven't spent much time at the workbench recently. Today's completion is the latest in a long line of Hurricanes, but there is a difference.

This the relatively new-tool ragwing Hurricane. It is really a delightful kit, especially since I was rassling with the Blenheim during much of the time I was getting this one done. Nice detail, good engineering, restrained panel lines, and a Hurricane variant that I had never built before. Can't get much better than that.

Decals were more of an issue. Early war Hurricanes are fairly boring in terms of markings. Lots of letter code combinations, and a few underside variations, so I decided that I would steer clear of RAF markings for this one. As it happens, the other option in the box is for the Belgian AF. Probably not one I would normally choose, but I do have a subset of foreign Hurricanes, so I figured why not. As with the recent Airfix decals I've used, they went on with the use of a little MicroSol quite nicely.

This kit may also be the best gateway to a Hurricane prototype. Someone needs to do the canopy and exhausts; we already have decals. 

Fairly satisfied with this one, though there are always things I should have been a bit more patient with. It is the 19th Hurricane in my display case. Next up will be a captured German version.

This is completed aircraft #459 (#26 for the year), finished in March of 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment