Total Pageviews

Monday, November 5, 2018

Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka


Ever since Hasegawa included an Ohka suicide bomb in one of their (Rita?) bomber kits, I’ve thought that it would be interesting to have one of them in the collection. But since I already had that kit – without Ohka – I figured I would wait until something else came along. And it finally did. Brengun, who seem to specialize in small models, produced an Ohka a year or so ago, along with a masking set. So I took the plunge.

The kit isn’t complicated, but the fit could be better (assuming it wasn’t just my usual ham-fistedness at work). An area that needs special attention is the wing to fuselage seam. I constructed my own display structure since I didn’t want to bother with the kit wooden framework, which was produced in resin. Not sure why; there certainly wasn’t any shape there that couldn’t have been handled as well in plastic. But I will avoid superglue usage if I have any other alternative. My fingers have spent enough time joined together.

Decals are from the kit. They depict a suicide bomber from the Okinawa campaign in 1945. Quite a statement on just how willing the Japanese were willing to die to the last man in this war.

This is completed aircraft #497 (14 aircraft, 1 ordnance, 5 vehicles for the year 2018), finished in October of 2018.





No comments:

Post a Comment