Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sword Republic P-47N

The end of year festival of completed aircraft continues. Today’s example has a bit of a history to it. Being a serious P-47 fan, it is one of the types that I have built multiples of (some 20+ at last count). Good available kits and decals, lots of nose art, simple configurations are very appealing to a lazy toad like myself. Almost the entire history of the type is available (even including predecessors like the P-35 and P-43 and advanced types like the XP-72 and XP-47H) and this makes for a good little self-contained type display.

The one hole in this was the P-47N. Rather different from the P-47Ds in that it had a completely new wing and some significant mods to the fuselage, you can’t really get there from an early type without major work. Italeri came to the rescue with a kit, but the critical reaction to it was pretty savage. I built one anyway, but kept an eye out for new releases. Eventually Sword produced a version which was generally praised by all the micrometer types, so I got ahold of one and got started.

I found it to be a difficult build. Fit was indifferent (though detail was good), the resin bits were a bother to deal with, and I completely destroyed the wing-front gun inserts. At least the canopy was injected and not a vac. I must say that the accuracy of a particular kit becomes dramatically less important when construction has this many problems. It’s a bit like a High Planes kit; they may be pinpoint accurate, but the bloody things are unbuildable. This kit is in no way on the order of a High Planes kit, but it was a trial from beginning to end.

Since I had had some issues with un-primered Alclad, I decided to paint the overall aircraft True Blue (which was required for the tail and cowling anyway) and use that as a primer. In the end, I used Model Master Alumimum instead of Alclad. As an aside, since hope in 72 Land does apparently spring eternal, I have bought a couple of White Aluminum bottles from Sprue Bros (currently in transit). Maybe they have sold through the batch of paint that was causing me so many coverage problems. I do miss the excellent coverage and look of the Alclad.

The decals came from an Aztec sheet. While “Red-E-Ruth” was one of the options in the Sword boxing, I thought the nose art reproduction was better on the Aztec iteration. This plane was a member of the 19 FS, 318 FG, and based on Ie Shima in 1945. The pilot was Leon Cox, all according to the Sword instruction sheet.

This is completed model #415 (#40 for the year), finished in December of 2012.

Now with embarrassing landing gear fault corrected!


  1. Ahhh... either the landing gear, or the gear covers, are on the wrong sides. Check some photos, bro.

  2. Hmmm. The gear are ok; must be the large gear door. I'll do some checking and revise today.