Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

New acquisition: Iwata IS-600 compressor


I have had a chance to play around with my new compressor, the Iwata Sprint Jet IS-800. Compared to the dinosaur I’ve been using for the past 10 years, this thing is a major revelation. First of all, the old compressor always sounded like there was a jackhammer being used on the street outside the garage. This new one is very quiet indeed. I mean, it’s not like I had to use ear protection or anything, but the difference is nice.

Secondly, the water trap and pressure gauge adjustment seem to work well, for the small time I’ve had to play around with them. Sometimes I get a bit of spritzing when I first use the brush, but that just means I will make sure it isn’t pointed at the model when I first give it some pressure until I see how it behaves over time.

I turned the pressure gauge down most of the way and could really feel the change in the amount of air exiting the brush. I’m sure this means I’ll need to adjust the thinning ratio when I have to do some tiny mottling. I’ll be using this feature on the Fiat CR-25 that is currently working its way through paint. It’ll take some getting used to, but I’m looking forward to having the options.

If you want to see why I’m so delighted to have the new compressor, here is a comparison shot of old vs new.





No comments:

Post a Comment