Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Hasegawa McD-D AH-64 Apache

Building the Italeri A129 Mangusta/Mongoose was a very pleasant experience overall, so I started poking around in the stash to find another attack helicopter to build. One of the first that came to hand was the Hasegawa AH-64 Apache.
It was listed as a "special marking" but I honestly don't see what is special about it. The only unique marking is a teeny little band of the Arizona flag above the tail rotor. The rest is bog standard helicopter drab.

Being a Hasegawa kit, the engineering is fine and construction proceeds without tragedy. There are a couple of mods in the kit that differentiate it from earlier versions: more than one tail rotor and a revised set of exhausts. The only set of canopy masks I had were Eduard's old dark grey vinyl versions, which don't seem to adhere well to even slightly curved surfaces. But with some additional attention right before painting I was able to keep the clear bits clear.

There is really not a great deal to add. Sometimes it is soothing to the mojo to do a quick model that you're not strongly psychologically invested in. I still have my eye on the Italeri Eurocopter Tiger to further my set of attack helicopters.

This is completed aircraft #457 (#24 for the year), finished in March of 2016.





No comments:

Post a Comment