Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Hasegawa Grumman F11F Blue Angels


One of the first sub-projects I ever started was a set of Blue Angels aircraft. It began in the mid-90s if I remember rightly, and I made it to the F9F when things sort of petered out. Recently I’ve been trying to expand the number of aircraft types that I finish and try to decrease the number of repeat customers like Hurricanes and Eurofighters.

Next in order was the Grumman F11F Tiger. All we’ve had for ages is the somewhat elderly Hasegawa kit. It is not the most modern, but it does go together well enough for a kit of its vintage. The plastic they used (blue, inevitably) was rather brittle and didn’t really take sanding all that well. I happened to use a specifically Blue Angels boxing of the kit, so the decals were provided.

About the only markings I didn’t use were the wing and tail tips, since I decided paint would be a better looking option. Xtracolour does a Blue Angels Yellow, and has two different Blues: one for A-4 and previous and one for the F-18. I used Alclad White Aluminum for the wing and tail leading edges. The decals cooperated, helped along with some setting solution.

This summer, once the display storage is all sorted out, I’ll be taking some group photos of the projects from the past that feature similarly-themed types. The Blue Angels group will definitely be one of those.

This is completed aircraft #505 (3 aircraft, 1 ordnance, 0 vehicles for the year 2019), finished in February of 2019.





No comments:

Post a Comment