Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Minor train wreck in the paint room

I’ve been totally offline for the last few days due to an ISP meltdown. Lots of discussions about signal strength, ingress points, contamination and bleed. You never quite realize how used to having the internet available you are until it goes away for a week. 

But I digress. Anyway, we all knew the successful painting streak couldn’t last forever. Luckily the disasters were of a fairly low order, and I should be able to recover from them. I think what happened is that the variable weather of the Northwest in spring has increased the humidity enough that some water was forming inside of the line between compressor and airbrush. There was some significant spattering, a loss of pressure, and just general inefficient working of the brush. The most noticeable effect was little drops of moisture in the RLM81 upper surfaces coat on the P-1099 and Me-262B.

I let the paint thoroughly dry, and the water itself evaporated. But the surface was still a bit pocked, so I gave it a good buffing with some small-grit sandpaper. Next I will reshoot the surfaces with a well-thinned second coat of RLM81, which will hopefully even out the surface and restore the gloss finish.

The other issues with this airbrush session – some runs on the Radome Tan nose of the F-18 and a somewhat uneven matte coat on the MQ-9 Reaper – were easily overcome too. I really need to buy myself a watertrap for the airbrush line, but I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. But if I run into the water-in-the-line phenomenon again, that will no doubt remind me to take care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment